The Local Table Podcast Show Notes
Thanks for being here at The Local Table, friends! In today’s episode, we have the pleasure of chatting with Lorien Meillon, a celebrity hairstylist based in Los Angeles, specializing in hair extensions. She’s been in the industry for 12 years but has always had a passion for hair. Lo and I met at a church event about 6 years ago, and we were both trying to start our new businesses. She began an extension business with a partner that also donated profits to charity. And I’m so excited to have her here with us on The Local Table to discuss her journey to success and what that looks like to her. You can find Lorien on her website and on her instagram.
* Note: This episode was recorded back in February before social distancing limited my guests to come into the studio with me.
Key Takeaways + Tips
- Lorien loves being a hairstylist because the human experience is so cool, and you’re almost like a therapist to your clients.
- She describes being a stylist as “someone walking around with your canvas on their head!”
- Lorien says she’s sacrificed the artist for the service [and vice versa]– and when you meet both of those together, you deliver a harmonious thing for your client. A lot of it is 100% removing the ego”
- “I believe in just asking; what do you have to lose?”
- Lorien “I think it’s important in a career to realize you don’t get there like everyone else. Your story doesn’t have to be the same. There’s a lot of stepping back and realizing there’s more to learn”
- Lorien “the real lessons are going out and doing them…just the lesson of going out and doing something, and doing it wrong…it’s so valuable”
- Kari “what I want is bigger than where I’m currently at”
- Does success look like running 100 mph, or does success look like enjoying it? …Success is your own definition of it
- “The grass is always greener on the other side, until you have to mow it”
- Lorien “my biggest lesson is to learn to walk away when it’s time”
- Lorien’s biggest advice to others is to be clear on what you want, today. Have an end goal, but give yourself grace when it doesn’t look the way you thought.
- “When you anchor down and enjoy the journey and your process. True success is in the process not the outcome.”
- Words of wisdom from Lo’s momma, “Sadness and happiness are opposite friends, it’s the joy in the daily life that is the substance.”
Things We Mentioned
- Lorien worked with Ken Paves in Las Vegas before moving to Los Angeles.
- Generosity Water, Saving Innocence and Journey Out are three nonprofits that Lorien supports and donated proceeds from her hair extension business.
- Lorien’s favorite place in Los Angeles is Scopa Italian Roots.
You can tune into this week’s episode right now! Thanks for listening!
PS – If you missed the show notes for episode 5, you can find them here.